The Violet Wand can be an eye-opening sex toy for those who try it. It’s unlike anything else. But where do you go from there?
Once you’ve tried out a Violet Wand and enjoyed electro sex play, you may want to know what other ways you can stimulate the body with electricity.
Perhaps you even want ways to combine electrostimulation with other types of BDSM play.
Well I’m here to tell you that the range of electro sex toys available has expanded.
You can use the classic Violet Wand in a variety of ways, but you can also add several other fun toys to the mix to get different kinds of electrical stimulation.
Here is what you need to know about the Violet Wand, as well as the other 7 best electro sex toys I’ve seen, including power supplies and attachments.
What to Know About Electro Sex Toys
Electro sex toys look pretty scary to beginners, but the truth is they are a lot of fun!
Here’s what you need to know…
What is the Violet Wand?
The Violet Wand is an electrical handheld toy that delivers electric sparks to the skin. It is the most well-known of these types of toys. It is so well-known, in fact, that often electro stimulation BDSM play is called "violet wand play."
The Violet Wand I recommend is the Nova Violet Wand.
That’s because it’s a durable solid-state wand that is easy for beginners to learn to use. This wand kit can even electrify your touch with the included body contact cable.
What’s really neat about it is you can use the adapter to attach any household light bulbs to convert them to electrodes and experience a variety of spark colors and sensations, depending on the type and size of bulb.
Here are some things to know about the Nova Violet Wand:
- Provides a good range of sensations, up to quite strong levels
- Includes wand accessories for variety in play
- Works with standard light bulbs and small lights, such as holiday lights
- Does not include instructions
How Does the Violet Wand Work?
These transform energy currents from your existing electrical supply into an electric shock. The electricity from your house (or wherever you plug in and play) is converted into a current that is safe for people to be exposed to.
Without a Violet Wand or other appropriate electro toys, your household current is unsafe and potentially deadly to expose yourself or others to. Never attach a body part directly to an electric current.
The intensity of the output depends on the wand you are using.
There are basically two types of wand:
- Solid state: These tend to be better for beginners because you get the same consistent output no matter which angle you hold them at. They’re also lighter to hold. The downside for advanced players is that they don’t get as intense if you really like pain play. They run on a circuit board.
- Electromechanical: If you prefer higher levels of sensation and pain, then you’re more likely to find what you’re looking for in electromechanical wands. They have more variety in how they can be used once you learn how to handle them. They run on an electro-magnetic coil.
Are Electro Sex Toys Safe?
Yes, electro sex toys are made to be safe to use, as long as you are using them correctly.
The current they transmit does not penetrate very deep into the body.
Instead, the current travels near the skin’s surface, so you definitely feel it.
It feels kind of like receiving a static shock, except that instead of one quick shock, you get a continuous stream of shocks. It’s exciting!
What are Safety Precautions for Playing With Electric Shock?
The first thing to know about playing safely with toys that transmit electricity is that you should never use them on someone (including yourself) who has a pacemaker or known heart problems. You also shouldn’t use one on a person with electrically-operated medical implants, such as an insulin pump.
Other than that, you’ll generally want to stay away from any problem areas or places with non-electronic medical implants, like knee replacements. The one body part you should always avoid touching a Violet Wand to on anyone is the eyes.
As with most activities that carry some degree of risk, you should not apply electro sex toys to someone who is pregnant.
The biggest risk of playing with these wands or other toys of this kind is the possibility of a ground fault happening. That occurs when household current comes through the toy.
This usually only happens if the toy gets wet and the circuits short out (remember, water and electricity do not play well together) or you have an improperly wired electrical line in the building.
To prevent the risk of dangerous electric shock from a ground fault:
- Never play around conductive fluids, like water, beverages, or large quantities of body fluids (small amounts of saliva, sweat, or vaginal secretions are safe).
- Don’t combine electro play with watersports (i.e., urine play).
- Use a GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) unit every time you use electric toys that plug into an outlet; it acts as a portable breaker that will shut off power from the outlet before it reaches the wand in the event of a ground fault.
- OR Use a rechargeable electro stimulation device that does not require being plugged into an outlet during use.
You can get a GFCI unit at most hardware stores.
Additionally, you’ll want to stay away from other electronic devices while playing with electro toys. There is a potential for the devices to damage each other.
You’ll also want to note that Violet Wands do emit sparks while in use, and those sparks can ignite flammable liquids and gases. So keep your wand away from fragrance burners, alcohol, or products that contain alcohol, like hand sanitizer.
What About Fireplay?
Okay, so I just said not to get your wand near anything flammable. The exception is when you are doing so safely and intentionally. Some people like to combine these wands and fireplay, using the wand’s sparks to ignite the flames.
It can make a really interesting display, but I recommend NOT participating in fireplay unless you are trained in appropriate techniques.
That includes being the giver or the recipient. Never engage in play that you don’t understand or don’t know the safety techniques for.
You are always responsible for your own safety. And if you are playing with someone who doesn’t know how to play safely, you want to be able to recognize that and stop the scene.
7 Violet Wand Alternatives and Accessories
Each of these BDSM toys is a safe way to shock your partner (or yourself) with new sensations.
Here's a list of the best electro sex toy options this year:
- ElectraStim EM60 Flick Electrosex Stimulator Multipack Set
- ElectraStim Bi-Polar Electrosex Jack Socket Stroker
- ElectraStim Bi-Polar Electrosex Silicone Noir Nona G-Spot Probe
- Doc Johnson The Stinger Electro Play Wand
- ElectraStim SensaVox Erotic Electro Stimulator
- ElectraStim Quadri-Polar Electrosex Silicone Prostate Massager
- ElectraStim Prestige ElectraLoops Cock Rings
1. ElectraStim EM60 Flick Electrosex Stimulator Multipack Set
The ElectraStim EM60 Flick Electrosex Stimulator Multipack Set is a full kit that includes everything you need to engage in a variety of electro stimulation play. And it utilizes a rechargeable electric unit, meaning that you don’t run the risk of ground faults with this toy. Instead, you just charge it up and use it — no need to plug it in during use.
The other unique thing about this particular toy is that it utilizes motion-activated technology, so that you flick your hand to deliver a shock, rather than receiving a continuous stream of shocks like with many wand toys.
The kit includes an insertable toy for vaginal or anal stimulation, contact pads for stimulation anywhere, and adjustable cock rings for penis stimulation. If you use the contact pads with a partner (each wearing one) you can provide electrified sensations to each other with a touch, such as from a finger or lips touching.
Pay close attention to this item because several other toys on the list require a power unit (such as this one) in order to provide stimulation.
- Rechargeable and no risk of ground fault
- Easy to control sensation levels
- Long-lasting battery
- Feels amazing
- Expensive (though you do get a lot in the set)
- Only one size of insertable toy in the kit
2. ElectraStim Bi-Polar Electrosex Jack Socket Stroker
The ElectraStim Bi-Polar Electrosex Jack Socket Stroker is a male stroker toy with a silicone interior.
It has inlets on the inner sleeve that allow conductive gel to flow into the stroker. This gel allows electro-stimulation of the penis when the toy is connected to an electro stimulation power unit.
- Enhances stroker sensations
- Easy to clean
- Somewhat pricey
- Can have a bit of a learning curve for getting good electro stimulation
3. ElectraStim Bi-Polar Electrosex Silicone Noir Nona G-Spot Probe
From the outside, you wouldn’t even know the ElectraStim Bi-Polar Electrosex Silicone Noir Nona G-Spot Probe is an electro toy.
It looks just like a typical silicone g-spot or p-spot vibrator, and it can be used either vaginally or anally.
In fact, it is covered in body-safe silicone. The electric stimulation is provided by conductive strips under the silicone. The toy works best when used with conductive gel to improve electric sensations and requires an electro stimulation power unit.
- Good size for g-spot or anal stimulation
- Ribbed material feels good
- Not particularly intense if you like a lot of shock
4. Doc Johnson The Stinger Electro Play Wand
Doc Johnson’s The Stinger Electro Play Wand is different from the other toys on this list in that it is an extremely simple toy.
There is one button on the wand. You hold it down longer to work up a stronger shock intensity. That being said, a quick tap of the button generates a sharp sting, similar to a whip but without the resulting marks.
It’s a nice toy to try out if you don’t have a lot of money to spend on an electro stimulation toy, but it’s not as sophisticated as some of the other options on this list. The Stinger is one of the few toys on this list that does not require a separate power unit.
- Battery-operated and doesn’t have to be plugged in
- Satisfying shock noise
- Pretty visual effect from electric spark in the dark
- Made of plastic
- Not as much control over intensity as other devices
- Must discharge the electricity after playing
- No off switch
5. ElectraStim SensaVox Erotic Electro Stimulator
The ElectraStim SensaVox Erotic Electro Stimulator is an absolutely amazing toy. It has all the bells and whistles (and the price tag to match).
With this power unit, you and a partner can each plug in a separate toy and use them simultaneously at different intensity levels.
It has 99 intensity levels, providing nuanced stimulation. And in addition to using the manual controls, you can optionally use the audio setting to control the unit via music or your voice.
It’s nice that it can be used with mains power or a battery; however, it’s not a rechargeable battery.
- Can be controlled by music or voice
- Can be used by two people at once, at different intensities
- Easy to use
- Good intensity control
- Quite expensive
- Not a rechargeable toy (though it can be used plugged in or with batteries)
6. ElectraStim Quadri-Polar Electrosex Silicone Prostate Massager
The ElectraStim Quadri-Polar Electrosex Silicone Prostate Massager is another silicone-coated conductive toy, and this one has 4 electro-stimulation contact points, as well as a poseable shaft to get the insertion angle that works best for you or your partner.
The result is stimulation of the prostate, perineum, and other sensitive areas in the anus. Although it’s marketed as a prostate massager, it can also be used for anal stimulation of those without prostates, and it can be used vaginally to stimulate the g-spot.
- Posable shaft allows you to adjust the angle
- Versatile shape allows vaginal and anal stimulation
- Multiple contact points increase pleasant sensations
- Connection point prevents using in seated position
7. ElectraStim Prestige ElectraLoops Cock Rings
This is a really interesting toy set. The ElectraStim Prestige ElectraLoops Cock Rings are used together with one cock ring at the base of the penis and the other just before the glans. The result is electro stimulation that courses down the length of the penis, between the two rings.
The rings are made of conductive rubber, which unfortunately is not safe for individuals with latex allergies, but if that’s not an issue for you, they are comfortable, adjustable cock rings. Of course, I couldn’t try this one myself, but from what I’ve seen, people with cocks love it.
This toy set does require an e-stim power unit.
- Adjusts for size
- Feels amazing
- Not safe for those with latex allergies
- Loops can loosen a bit with movement
Where to Start Your E-Stim Toy Journey
You’ve seen a good deal of variety in this particular toy roundup.
And if you’re interested in e-stimulation play, then I highly recommend trying out any items here that entice you. That being said, my suggestion for a first-time electro stimulation toy purchase is:
The Nova Violet Wand
A quality toy is many people’s first foray into e-stim play, and it’s a bit more affordable than some of the other power units, while still providing a huge variety of play options. This wand has a solid state power conductor and comes with play accessories and a storage case.
A lot of the other items here, though fun, are limited to very specific uses. Having a wand with attachments gives you the opportunity to explore many kinds of e-stimulation fun. I highly suggest experimenting with different types of lightbulbs as electrodes with this toy. (Just don’t use high-vacuum bulbs or tubes like those used in radios or old televisions.)